Twin Cities Slovenians
Saturday, March 16 Membership Meeting
9:30 a.m. @ Little Venetian Restaurant
2900 Rice Street, Little Canada, MN
9:30 - 9:40 Coffee/Meet Greet
9:40 – 10:00 Welcome – John Zakelj
Slovenian music – Mary Ann Palmer and Rich Samec
SUA Announcements – Norm Setnicker
Hellebore book – Yul Yost
10:00 - 10:10 "Magic Moments" - A personal genealogy story – Rich Samec
10:10- 11:15 Genealogy Workshop
Chuck and Jean Podominick, Jay Fonkert (MN Genealogy Society), Mary Schwanke, John Zakelj and Joe Kuznik
This is an opportunity to receive hands-on help with your family history questions. Whether you are just beginning your search or have been looking for years, there will be individualized help for your questions and problems. We will work with you on an individual basis and will have computers access to on-line genealogy resources. Time will be limited, but, hopefully, you will come away with ideas for continuing your research.
Possible questions you may have...
- Where is my ancestor from in Slovenia?
- Where and when did they come to the US?
- What did my ancestors do in Slovenia?
- Who can help me find information - in Slovenia and the US?
Information resource categories
- US resources
- Slovenian resources
- On-line resources
- Family resources
What to bring:
- Questions about your family that you would like help resolving
- Documents related to family events (birth or death certificates, family trees, naturalization papers, letters)
- Paper & pencil for note taking
- Printed copy of Ancestral and Family charts (attached)
Attached are the following resources:
- Researching Slovenian Roots -- a guide to doing research here and in Slovenia
- Resources -- A list of organizations and databases helpful in researching your family
- Given Names Charts -- Given names index, comparing Slovenian, Latin, German and English variations
- Ancestral Chart -- worksheet for family tree
- Family Group Sheet -- worksheet for gathering information on each family group
If you would like to have a copy of the attachments at the meeting, please print and bring along.
11:15 - 11:30 Lending Library (return books you have borrowed!); Coffee/Conversation
As usual, there will be a $4 charge to cover the cost of room rental, coffee and rolls.