Minutes of Meeting May 16, 2009, 9:30am
Norm Setnicker handed out the agenda for the meeting and
played the music for Slovenec Sem as we sang along.
MaryAlice Schwanke read the minutes from the previous meeting.
In Yvonne’s place, her husband Al reported today’s
checkbook balance of $971.02. We
will still have a freight expense for the Ribnichon to pay.
Mary Ann Palmer handed out a list of Slovenian greetings
and we read through them.
Norm reported that MaryAlice attended an Archivist
Conference at the U of M on a full scholarship from the Friends of the
Immigration History Research Center.
MaryAlice reported that the event was an informative overview of
archiving but didn’t get into technical issues, or wasn’t in depth on a specific
Festival of Nations:
- Mary Medved announced that our exhibit at the Festival
of Nations received 1 of 5 awards.
We received the Cultural Exhibit Award and a check for $200.00.
We passed the award certificate around to the group.
- She brought a scrapbook with examples of the baseball
type cards we passed out and some photos of this year’s booth.
- She talked about how everyone added an aspect to the
exhibit: those who dressed up and worked in the booth, those who
designed/redesigned the booth, carpentry work, researched materials, video
and website work.
- She mentioned how the task of being FON Chair may be
better suited for younger members or even have co-chairs.
- Steve Sheckler who heads the FON is seeking ideas for
next year’s FON themes, his email address is email@example.com.
We will as a group submit ideas.
- Frank Medved explained the saga of the Ribnichon, the
wares are back in Slovenia. He tried
to contact Amy Klobuchar for assistance but was unable to connect with her
in time. It turns out the crate was
treated and documented but not stamped.
Frank added music to the video we had at the FON, copies can be
purchased with proceeds going to the TCS.
- Jeff Martinka recognized the Medved’s for their work
in pulling together this year’s FON exhibit.
- Norm mentioned it would be helpful if Steve Heckler
set us a list of the past FON themes.
- Norm asked frank if the grant from Slovenia was still
available and talked about “Urban” slated to be at the event in Jolliet, IL.
- Norm announced the board decided to give chairs of the
FON gift certificates in the amount of $50, one card to the Medved’s for
this year and the other to Smrekar’s for last year.
- Sue Rademacher brought a pair of glasses and a CD that
were left in the booth.
- We discussed that children enjoyed getting their names
written in Slovenian… some names were difficult to translate into Slovenian.
- Yul Yost described how he made the wheel that was used
in the booth, showed a picture of the 5300 year old wheel and that in time
for the picnic should have the axel complete.
- Don Palkovich spoke with the Burmese man from the
booth next to us and mentioned he was interested in how the wheel stayed on
the square part.
- John Zeickle mentioned that Festival staff paid extra
attention to the wheel and John thought that may have played a role in us
getting 1st prize.
- Sue Radamacher mentioned we could look into a 2nd
booth in the bazaar for next year and sell some Slovenian items.
Mary Medved mentioned the Ribnichon people may be interested in
selling their wares. Jeff Martinka
can get contact information for the Czech group about this subject.
Norm told us “Urban” will be at the celebration.
He read through the celebration events
that were listed in the May/June Zarja on pages 21-22.
Mary Medved mentioned the lack of information on places to stay while
attending the celebration, that info has since been added to the SWUA website.
Norm asked Mary Lou Voelk what years our group was assigned
to index, they are 1946-1959. He is
setting up a meeting at the IHRC.
We are looking for volunteers to help index these issues.
Next TCS Meeting:
Our next meeting is June 24th about 7pm and is
to recognize outgoing Consul General Zvon Žigon and his wife Irena for their
work. The reception will be at the
Nectary and include appetizers & wine for a small charge around $5.
Norm is looking for ideas on a gift to present Zvon.
will be hosting a Slovenian singing session on June 7th.
Norm would like members to attend and report back to events
so we can plan our hosting of next year’s convention.
A Task Force!
Saturday, August 8th, 2009, at Yul’s home.
- Norm recognized Mary Ann Palmer’s award from the North
Suburban Gavel Association for her volunteer work.
- Yul read a story in the Cleveland Times about Mimi.
- Norm thanked individuals who brought snacks for the
about 11:20 a.m.