The Festival of Nations is the largest multi-cultural event in Minnesota and is held at the St Paul RiverCentre. Started in 1932, the Festival of Nations provides an interactive educational experience about the different cultures that make up our community. A popular activity for students is having their faux passport stamped for each countries exhibit they visit.
Experience a little bit of Slovenia
Volunteers wear ethnic costume and some speak Slovenian. A popular question is how someone’s name is pronounced in the language. Visitors are encouraged to ask our volunteers about Slovenia.
Besides the exhibits, dancers and musicians perform on stages throughout the event. There are demonstrations by authentic folk artisans, a bazaar for your shopping pleasure, and of course a food court where you can taste your way around the world.
The Twin Cities Slovenians has had an exhibit in the Festival since 2008, for information about past exhibits click on the theme that interests you.
- 2008 – Art and Architecture
- 2009 – Inventors and Innovators
- 2010 – Folklore, Legends and heroes
- 2011 – Marketplaces of the World
- 2012 – Ethnic Celebrations and Events
- 2013 – Children, Our Past and Our Future
- 2014 – Peace Among the People
- 2015 – International Arts
- 2016 – Folklore of Slovenia
- 2017 – Ceremonies & Rituals (puzzle answers)
- 2018 – Exploring Historical and Contemporary Traditions
- 2019 – Slovenian Culture – Prešeren Day Brochure